The New Jersey Center for Biomaterials is dedicated to improving patient care and public health through the development and commercialization of future generations of biomaterials. Since 1991, the Center has been building a nationally recognized resource in biomaterials and Biomaterials Science with a major emphasis on discovery and characterization of innovative polymeric biomaterials, explorations of cell materials interactions, and industrial applications.
The Center's polymers have found medical applications on drug-eluting coronary stents and antibiotic implants to reduce the rate of implant infections. Currently, about 350,000 patients in 46 countries are using these innovative products.
The Center coordinates academic, technical and clinical resources to:
- Stimulate innovative basic and applied research in biomaterials science
- Foster novel and productive research teams and partnerships to address the cutting edge challenges in biomaterials science
- Support shared core facilities to enhance collaborative inter-disciplinary inter-institutional research
- Serve as a focal point for biomaterials education and professional development
- Facilitate technology transfer and the commercialization of innovative materials for biomedical applications.